Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Knitting Love/Hate Relationship

This is a painting called Calm, Chaos and Frustration. It is from: http://www.artdeanne.com/Gallery.html

I am finishing up a vest that I have been working on for about 4 months. It has about 10 different yarns in it. It is worked sideways and has a pretty cable trim around the neck and shoulders.

I've had a love-hate relationship with this project.

First I loved all the different yarn. Then I hated how the striping was working out. Then I loved trying something other than what the pattern said to do. Then I hated the fact that I made the front pieces too wide and had to frog a large portion of the work. Then I was excited to get to work on the cable trim. Then I could kick myself for trying to trim some of the "fuzziness" off one of the yarns - because my scissor got a little crazy and snipped some stitches (oh - that was so dumb and I will never use any type of fuzzy yarn again or even better I will never use scissors to repair anything on a knitted item!). Then I loved attaching the trim and putting the vest together. Then I hated having to re-attach the trim to the front twice to get the cables to lay right. Then I loved adding the single-crochet to the edging because the piece is finally coming together and looking finished. Then as I was adding the single crochet to the bottom front edge some of the basket stitch on the edge just started un-raveling - what's with that!? Ahhhhhh! But I was able to pick up the stitches and re-secure them with the crochet edging and it looks fine. This has been the hardest "simple" project I have ever done.

I have to say though...the love part of this relationship wins out every time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good post, Kate. I have a love/hate project sitting in one of my bags that has an imaginary little skull and crossbones hovering over it. Ugh.

P.S. I also loved your "What I Believe" post.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home