Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Vest is a Hit!

This is the vest I knit for my Mother's 70th birthday. (Click on any photo for a close-up view!) It was quite the pattern. It is called "Vest Sideways" and is knit sideways. I loved all of the many yarns that went into the vest and so did my mother. With this pattern you create your own "designer yarn" by tying together 2 - 3 yd. strands of varying fibers. It's a treat for the senses. I found the pattern at a cute yarn shop in Ft. Walton Beach Florida. Here is the back of the vest.
While in Florida we visited a yarn shop that was selling a version of "personal designer yarn" already made up for you. It was the most beautiful yarn I have ever seen, with the most expensive price tag too...$92.00 a skein. No kidding. It was probably worth every penny and when I become wealthier than I am now I will purchase some and make a jacket. Until then I will string together my own personal designer yarn. Oddly enough when we showed one of the clerks the vest shown here - she thought we had used the yarn from their shop to make it. So - who would know the difference? Only your pocket book.
This was a sweater that I knitted for Mom - oh about a year or so ago. Actually I knitted it for myself and my mother fell in love with it - so it became her Christmas present. It was a Bernat pattern that I modified by adding the cables going up the front. I love cables and so had to have them on this sweater. Even though Mom lives in Florida she likes to have one roastie toastie sweater to wear in the so-called Winter months in Naples.


Here is the table setting Mom did for us on the 4th of July! It was fabulous. Note the beanie baby! How many of you still have those?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how Jane used the Beanie Baby - I know that goes wayyy back with John and collecting them.

Still don't know much about knitting and yarn - but I agree - pinch the pennies! :)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hooray for Hal who leaves me comments. That is one super brother-in-law!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

Keep an eye out for a package! It will probably arrive on Wednesday! Enjoy!

Your SP

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home